Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Blogging Reboot (Hopefully)



Over the last five or six years I attempted maintain a blog on several different occasions. However, I never developed consistency in writing and the blogs became the equivalent of a cyber-Detroit, abandoned with few signs of life. Yet, I am compelled to give blogging one more valiant attempt.

It may be helpful to you the readers, hoping that there will be a few, and myself, to articulate the reason why I desire to start writing again. The primary reason…I feel that the internet is making me stupid and I need to do something about that. I recently read the article Is Google Making Us Stupid? by Nicholas Carr, and am currently reading his follow up book The Shallows: What the Internet isDoing to Our Brains where the author details how our thinking has changed since the internet has become omnipresent and information instantly available. As a result, our brains (my brain) have been rewired and I/we are losing or have lost the ability to concentrate, read deeply, or critically think/problem solve. I know that I have seen evidences in my own life, from the endless hours web surfing, changing reading patterns (no longer reading paragraphs but rather in an ‘F’ formation from skimming so many websites), and struggles in studying my Bible.  Therefore, I want to fight this through the exercise of my brain and learning to think deeply once again. I believe that the discipline of writing will help in this endeavor. Additionally, I hope to improve my writing skills and use of grammar through regular writing along the way. 

I titled this blog Sojourn in the Shadowlands based on C.S. Lewis’ reference to this world in comparison to eternity ahead. As a Christian, I know that I am a sojourner, a traveler, passing through this brief life toward my eternal home. I envision this blog to include stories and topics of life and faith on this journey. Oh…and I might post some book reviews too :-)

So, here I go (again) on this blogging adventure. I welcome comments and feedback along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment